Learning fly tying from a book is about to get easier than ever before!
This is a guide book for those totally new to the art of tying flies. Until now, learning flytying from a book has not only been challenging, but often the cause of great frustration, with photographs or diagrams making even the elementary techniques difficult to grasp. Step-by- step images help a reasonably proficient flytyer understand the stages in making a fly, but for the new beginner, there will always be a gap between each step-by-step image, which can be bewildering! Seeing the manual manoeuvres that take place in these blank spaces can make the difference between success and failure for a new beginner.
For this reason, Barry aims to take learning flytying to a whole new level via this book. He wants to make the essential techniques and skills required easier to master than ever before.
The techniques you will learn in this book are the building blocks on which all successful fishing flies, even the most complex ones, are based. Follow Barry's recommendations for tools and materials, pay special attention to fly proportions and first watch the videos of me demonstrating the relevant techniques before you start to tie each fly. Then with a little patience and a good deal of practise, you will soon be tying beautiful flies.
Each technique and pattern in this beginners’ book has a five stage tutorial.
- Guidance and instruction on all tools, materials and techniques used for each pattern.
- The very best step-by-step images to illustrate every single stage in great detail, from attaching the thread to the finished fly.
- Explanatory text for each step-by-step image that leads you through each technique and pattern.
- Unique among beginners’ books, each pattern is supported by a Quick Response (QR) code, which instantly links you to Barry's YouTube channel and the accompanying video for each fly pattern. Here you can watch me tie that pattern. Video is an ideal medium to see any special procedure or technique at first-hand, before you start to tie using the book.
- You can also send Barry your questions in the comments box of each instructional video, if you are struggling, need advice or just have a query!
- If you follow the instructions carefully, and use the book correctly, along with its online support, you can master techniques, proportions, uniformity and perfection in your flytying.