Okuma ALC-20s Multiplier is Ideal for Shore Anglers
If you are looking for a really good mag multiplier reel, look no further than the Okuma ALC-20CS or ALC Mag Reel. It's got all the features you would expect from a typical mag reel, however the ALC takes things to a completely new level.
Picture the scenario, you are excited about an impending shore fishing trip, you're current mag reel is always letting you down and you really wish you had the confidence to cast your bait as far into the surf as possible without getting a dreaded crow's nest. Well if you need a reel that ticks the boxes, the Okuma ALC-20 is the reel for you.
The ALC-20 will be suitable for shore anglers who, more often than not, use 15lb mono with a shock leaders system or rig who like to cast bigger baits into deep water or challenging weedy ground. Right off the bat, as soon as you connect the reel to your beach rod, you will notice the reel foot is extremely sturdy - no wobble. Nothing. It's a solid piece of kit that sits low to the blank, balances well on your exiting shore rod and even though the ALC-20 has a wide spool and weighs 415g, it won't look too bulky. Weight reduction is achieved thanks to it's machined aluminium frame with open top, aluminium anodised spool and carbons in the side plate to further reduce weight.
Under the Hood of the Okuma ALC
Under the hood there is a plethora of cool features including brass main gears, multi-disc drag washers, corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings and drop down gearbox for maximum gear sizing. The gear system is self-lubricating for maximum heat dissipation which ultimately means smoother performance. So you can expect this reel to withstand the rigours of modern day shore fishing, salt water exposure, and some.
Casting with the ALC-20 Multiplier
The most salient feature of the ALC is just how quiet the reel is when casting. The Okuma ALC-20 features a gear lever system which when pushed, disengages the gear just before you cast. Another push and it re-engages the gearing after the cast. This is particularly useful if you experience premature engage during the cast - which can be a bit of a pain (particularly break-offs). The lever that controls this feature is solid and reliable. It's easy to wrap your thumb around the spool when casting and the reel is also equipped with magnets for casting control, further enhancing the efficiency and consistency of smooth, long casting. The mag control has 8 settings and is adjusted with a wheel at the side of the reel.
With it's very smooth 6.2.1 gear ratio, you have an incredibly fast feel that offers excellent control when hauling fish under tension of from snags. The handle is short but very sturdy and offers the surf angler a good grip and firm hold. It's also very smooth when retrieving line and the clutch can be adjusted quickly as and when required.
So overall if you are looking for a good shore reel that's incredibly fast but also offers exceptional control when playing fish, retrieving line or casting, the Okuma ALC-20 Multiplier reel is perfect. It would even be suitable for Uptiding from a boat.
Summary of Key Features
Click here to read Sea Angler magazine's Okuma ALC MAG Live Test
- Injected carbon left and right sideplates for reduced weight
- Machined aluminum frame for precision alignment
- Machine cut brass main gear for durability and smoothness
- Multi-disc Carbonite drag washers for maximum efficiency
- 2HPB + 1RB corrosion resistant stainless steel bearings
- MCS: External adjustable magnetic cast control system
- Dual anti-reverse system for maximum strength and reliability
- Quick-Set stainless steel anti-reverse roller bearing
- Machined aluminum, anodized spool
- CRC: Corrosion-resistant coating process
- Anodized aluminum swept handle reduces wobble
- Ergo grip handle knob for increased comfort
- Anodized aluminum, ratcheting star for drag adjustments
- MSS: Mechanical Stabilizing System for precise alignment
- XL gearing: Drop down gear box for maximum gear sizing
- Self-lubricating gear system for maximum heat dissipation
- ALC Mag star drag reels are backed by a 1-year limited warranty
- Weighs 415g
You may also like...